Had joint pains and fever. Taken medication. Joint pain persists. Further treatment needed?

Dear sir i am suffering from last one month with fever and joint pains mainly at muscles , palms and foots. I have taken the medicines for fever and now i don't have any fever but joint pain is still there so kindly advise me what i have to do.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Fever with joint pains is a common symptom of viral fever in India. As you are in North India, certain local conditions will also have to ruled out depending on the endemicity. Good that your fever has subsided. But, the persistent 1 month joint pains seem to need a complete clinical examination and blood tests immediately.

This is important as you might need other important medications if diagnosed with an infection.

I would advise you to stop taking self medication on Nimesulide, and get an appointment with a doctor and then start medications with prescription. That drug is meant only for short term use in certain conditions. And your young age also seems to point out an infective cause rather than a orthopedic diagnosis for now.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.