Had jerk and now feeling numbness in hands. Remedy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi I felt jerk on my leftside back before two months. Now sometimes i feel numbness in my hands. MY left leg also get some XXXXXXX shaking feeling sometimes and left side neck is also give a tight sensation. i dont feel any symptoms on my right side of the body. No headache , little dizziness is also i am feeling. Due to fear i felt high heartbeats and hight BP. Now heart related things seems woring properly. Since i started gaining confidence back but i am not into the prior state which was 2 months before. Please suggest. I do aerobics reguarly.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
These are common symptoms of back contusion and spine muscle pulling. it can last even several months after hit. After every trauma there is tissue swelling which can press surrounding nerves and you should feel better when swelling pulls back.SO probably this isnt anything serious and be patient and watch for any new signs for few more weeks.

Now, there is always possiblity of more serious nerve damage especially if you have muscle weakness in left hand and loss of sensation. but to evaluate this you should do or spine MRI or EMG (electromyography) for exact diagnosis.ALso some other neurologic diseases not related to your trauma can be considered.
Till that you should do streching exercises, not so much aerobics.
Also ask your GP about certain medicines such as muscle relaxants, benzodiazepines and nonsteroid painkillers. It can also be treated by steroids but i dont think this is necessary at this point.
WIh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Had jerk and now feeling numbness in hands. Remedy? 8 hours later

I went to orthopedic doctor here, he saw me and not suggested Spine MRI, since i was able to move and didn't felt pain around. Yes one more thing i want to tell that initially i went to physio and he took me for IFT(therapy).. and by mistake he put one point of that on my side abdomina of left side and i was laying on my side(left side was on top). And i felt that that pulled my upper abdomina organ, then i called doc and he reduced heat level and organ went back in position.. That also make me wonder if that went something wrong inside ?
May be due to that it all went wrong.. since i feel tightness in my lower left ribs and
do i need to go for CT abdomina test to check all organs are working proper ? I dont know what went wrong with me.. may be that pulled my spline or liver or stomach(Not sure)
My pulse rate on steady state is about 60-65..
May be i am sensing more and this could be usual.. can't say
Please suggest what could have gone wrong.. i never felt any medical history prior to this.. Though things have been better for me but i am not able to gain the same confidence.USG reports were fine also. ECG was normal. Before one month heart rate was about 84.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Well, the possiblity that IFT could cause any damage to your XXXXXXX organs is negligible. So this shouldnt worry you. Also, you would have some other symptoms if there is such damage or disorder.
Your pain in left ribs can be due to fall, but also there can be splenomegaly or leftside pnemonia. These would be seen on abdominal ultrasound and chest xray.
Unfortunately, in your condition usualy it is hard to find the exact pathologic lesion. Because there can be functional disorder of autonomic nervous system especially if there was neck whipash injury. It would explain heart rate variations. Of course all this can also be associated with emotional factors. In every case you should continue with physical therapy including IFT but also therapeutic ultrasound, magnetotherapy and bath therapy if available in your place. If symptoms persist or progress you should definitely do MRI,but as I said it seems to me like something temporary and benign.
Follow-up: Had jerk and now feeling numbness in hands. Remedy? 6 hours later

Is this something wouldn't cover and i have to bare this for long.?
Is this possible that i had high BP due to back spasm only?
Is this life threatning in any case ?
What kind of streatch i should focus on ?

What kind of symtoms can raise with the time in future ?When should i go for spine MRI in case.?

Or i should ignore these and try to chill my life.. and should be worried only when it become an emergency ? Because i started feeling little left leg pain. What symptoms may arise.

Sometimes my heart pound if i try to step up with stairs on 4th floor. And i also felt dizziness at times, Is this normal and will i recover with all these over the time.

I just want to lead a pain free healthy life. Thank you very much for the response.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi again,

Many people experience such symptoms even after minor trauma and muscle pulling and unfortunately this is sometimes huge diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. But modern tests, painkillers and muscle relaxants should relief pain completely and this shouldn't last for more than 6 months. So ask your neurologist about these medicines and stronger painkillers.

BP can be related to your injury if there is autonomic nerve system disorder and this can be found in such conditions. This is nothing serious and isn't life threatening. So don't be worried. Your symptoms are probably aggravated by stress, anxiety and emotional factors and it wont cause permanent damage in future. The same is with your heart, its function also depends on emotional factors very much. As long as there is no pain in chest and shortness of breath you shouldn't worry.

Of course you should rule out some heart diseases which aren't related to injury and only ECG isn't enough. You should do HOLTER ecg and echocardiograpy and this should be enough to rule out anything serious with your heart.

I suggest to do MRI of spine and head( there can be certain brain pathology too) if your symptoms persist more than 6 months and don't subside on therapy. Also if you notice loss of sensation or consciousness, paleness and loss of pulsations in arms and legs, incontinence, muscle paralysis or vision and hearing disorders you should go to ER cause these are serious signs.

I understand your fear, but there is no high possibility that there is serious spine damage because much more intensive trauma is needed for it. Just be patient and do tests and therapies I have mentioned.

Wish you good health.