Had iud. Missing periods, severe pain in abdomen and vagina. What are the risks?

I have had an iud for 2 years now...I've not had a period since ...I keep having severe pain n my lower abdomen and n my stomach is swollen
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 41 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

There are two IUD's in the US: the Mirena IUD and the Paraguard IUD. The Mirena IUD has progesterone which causes women's cycles to lighten and eventually stop. So if you have a Mirena IUD, then this would be expected and would explain no period for 2 years.

On the other hand, if you had the Paraguard IUD, then this would be unusual.

In either case, given your pain and "swollen" belly, two things need to happen:

1. You need to check a pregnancy test as soon as possible
2. You need to contact your doctor to schedule and visit and an ultrasound to make sure the IUD is in the proper location.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions!
Follow-up: Had iud. Missing periods, severe pain in abdomen and vagina. What are the risks? 10 hours later
There is no way I'm pregnant. I'm just concerned cause I know they recalled the mirena. When I have sex I ball up because it hurts so bad.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Thanks for the followup!

Okay, I trust that you are not pregnant- this just has to be part of the workup of any sexually active, reproductive age woman presenting with abdominal pain.

But, I have learned over time, having been consulted on cases related to IUD malfunction or migration, that if you are having pelvic pain, pain with intercourse, etc. someone has GOT to look at that IUD - i.e. you need a pelvic ultrasound.

I hope this helps!