Had itchy rash on groin. Prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide. Cause?

Hello, I went to see the doctor a few months ago for a rash (In the fold of my groin) that itched and had a bad odor.He prescribed some Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1% and that helped it go away. Recently, the rash has come back in the same area and I am using the cream. I normally use Gold Bold powder after a shower. My doctor never told what causes the rash.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Rashes that occur in the fold of the groin are usually fungal rashes though there can be other causes. These fungal rashes may also occur in the armpit, under the abdomen in person with excess weight and under the breasts in women.
These are all areas that tend to keep hot and moist and this moisture and heat allows fungi to grow.

The other potential causes would be (1) allergic reaction to a cream, soap or detergent
(2) a skin condition called psoriasis- this is usually associated with thick plaques that may have a silver scale
(3) erythrasma -this is bacterial infection that affects the folds of the skin. It is treated with antibiotics and also the use of skin creams

Triamcinolone acetate is a steroid cream which would have treated any inflammatory or allergic response.
To prevent recurrence you may want to determine what you are reacting to, the use of cool loose clothing would also be helpful.
Some persons find that the use of petroleum which prevents the moisture from staying on the skin because it blocks it, would be helpful.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions