Had itchy ear. Experiencing pressure and pain in ear. How to get relief?

I have this pressure in my ear but it doesn't hurt just pressure all I can hear is the "tv snow" sound in my ear. It's more bothersome than painful but I did experience a lot of itch a couple of days ago in the same ear
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
The sound you are describing is referred to as tinnitus. Tinnitus is the perception of sound in the head or ears.
Tinnitus is a symptom of a condition as when found the underlying cause still has to be determined.

The causes of tinnitus are: (1) as a result of medication- aspirin or aspirin containing drugs can cause or worsen tinnitus, diuretic medication also have this side effect
(2) exposure to an extremely loud noise, this can be associated with hearing loss as well
(3)Meniere's disease - this is a condition where a person may experience tinnitus, dizziness and hearing loss
(4) infection or fluid in the ear can also cause tinnitus. This may be occuring in your case because you also mentioned a sensation of pressure in the ear , as well as itching
(5) excess wax in the ear can also cause tinnitus- another possible cause of the pressure feeling
(6) in very cases brain tumor- in these cases the tinnitus usually comes and goes, on one side and in some cases can be heard by the doctor

Your doctor will take a full history to check out any contributing medication, any additional symptoms such as hearing loss or dizziness, any possible history of infection and very importantly whether the tinnitus is constant or intermittent.

Examination of the ears and the entire head and neck and torso is important to identify the cause.
In the absence of an obvious cause , your doctor may also suggest tests to check the hearing in your ears.

The treatment depends on the cause, if it is related to an infection , fluid or excess wax then these can easily be treated.
Meneire's disease may also respond to medication

Some persons require the use of tinnitus maskers ( therapy used to mask the sound) and if there is surgical cause , this is also an option.

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any additional questions