Had ipill after sex. Noticed bleeding after periods. Should I worry?

Mar 2013
hi, i had given my partner an ipill after having unprotected sex a month back and she had secreted little amount of blood in a few days. recently she had got her periods, and 5-6 days after her cycle getting over she has been seeing little spots of blood, its been happening for 3 days now. is this a sign of worry? what will we have to do? does this indicate any sort of problem?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 minutes later
After taking the I pill, it is common to have slight spotting / bleeding for a few days.
So what happened the previous month is within the range of what is expected after I pill use.
However, generally the I pill would not cause post menstrual spotting in the next cycle.
I pill use is not recommended, because it tends to upset the menstrual rhythm.
Please switchover to a reliable method of contraception.
Regarding the spotting after periods, causes could be - Cervical polyps, cervical erosions, endometrial polyps, endometrial hyperplasia, polycystic ovaries, hypothyroidism etc.
Even stress, anxiety, hectic travelling, work or personal stress, recent and rapid fluctuations in weight, etc could cause such a picture.
However, you should consult a gynecologist.
You should have a thorough pelvic examination, a Pap smear and a pelvic ultrasound to evaluate the cause.
Take care, and feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Had ipill after sex. Noticed bleeding after periods. Should I worry? 14 minutes later
can you suggest any contraceptive medication which can be taken on a daily basis,as I've heard and read about women taking contraceptive pills on a daily basis. how should they be taken and when can she start taking the pills and when would she have to stop?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Hormonal pills like Femilon, Loette, Cerazette etc , can be taken on a daily basis.
They are supposed to be taken on a daily basis, with the first pill of the pack to be started on the 1st or 2nd day of the menstrual cycle.
They are taken continuously as long as pregnancy is not desired, with a break every 3 to 6 months.
There are various factors which have to be considered after examining the patient, so have a gynecological consultation before starting any pills, to rule out any contraindications to its use.
All the best.