Had intestinal parasite, was on Mebendazole. Noticed dead worms in stool. Is this normal? Family history of albenza

Question
Hi, I came back from Mexico with an intestinal parasite in which my family physician put me on Mebendazole to get rid of them. I've been done with the medicine for 3 days and noticed a bunch of dead worms ( I think Roundworms ) in my stool this morning. Is this normal? My family is also being treated with Albenza.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 22 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The parasite when enters the intestine, they adhere to the intestinal mucosa and erodes it thus causing intestinal infection and causing deficiencies of certain minerals and vitamins. The Anti-protozoal drugs like mebandazole or Albandazole kills these parasite which causes them to detach from the intestinal mucosa and thus they are excreted with stools. Not only the dead worms are excreted in stools but also many ova and cysts are also excreted which are not visible to naked eye.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Had intestinal parasite, was on Mebendazole. Noticed dead worms in stool. Is this normal? Family history of albenza 1 hour later
Thank you. How can I prevent my family from being reinfested besides the obvious of washing bedding, etc. Should we take garlic? Colon cleanse? Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 54 minutes later
The best prevention is to eliminate the source which enters the body through oral intake. It includes food hygiene and the source of water should be checked out. It might be contaminated. If you and your family get worm infestation frequently then you should be using anti-parasitic drugs once a month. Washing of hands before taking meal and after using washrooms.

Thanks

Follow-up: Had intestinal parasite, was on Mebendazole. Noticed dead worms in stool. Is this normal? Family history of albenza 3 hours later
We got the parasites while vacationing in Mexico. My husband and I were in Cabo in February, and I didn't feel well when I returned, but it seemed to get better, and then we took our whole family to Cancun to a resort in March. I don't even know which visit, or both was the time I/we got them. It definitely is not our water or food. We live in the US and are very clean. This is the first time anything like this has happened, and I need to prevent it from happening again.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 7 hours later
The parasite infection spreads through oral and fecal route. It is present in soil, feces and water. If they are contaminated they gets inside your body. If you have a very clean n hygienic status then the most probability is that you might have acquired it in the mexico or somewhere else during your visit. But now as you have dewormed yourself and your family and back to US so, you are almost safe and you might not get it again. But next when you visit any place, do check its hygienic status.

Thanks