Had intermittent upper abdominal pain and lower back pain. Is the symptoms related to pancreatic cancer?

General Surgeon
Hello. I'm 43/F and for 3 weeks have had intermittent upper abdominal pain, back tension and lower back pain. I have anxiety and probably depression too and have been prescribed Pepcid that seems to work on and off. I'm worried that my symptoms could be related to something more serious like pancreatic cancer.
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gallstones. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. First of all some information about pancreas cancer. Please note that in the vast majority pancreas cancer does not give any symptoms at all in the first stage. Usually the first symptom is jaundice. Pain is a very late symptom. So your symptoms are most likely not related with cancer. Upper abdominal pain radiating to the back is quite characteristic for gallstones. The pain usually appears after fatty foods, spicy foods or alcohol. Nausea and vomiting can be also present. If the pain is in the upper middle abdomen, peptic ulcer should be also considered. I suggest you to do not be so worried about the cancer. Please visit your doctor, have abdominal ultrasound and blood work done. If this tests will be negative, gastroscopy should be next. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.