Had intercourse during periods. Started spotting. What is the problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
My period started two weeks ago today, it was pretty much normal, I had intercourse on day 5, as it was very light on day 4 and day 5 like normal. Day 6 was then quite heavy again (which was unusal), but since then it hasnt gone away, it is very light, not enough for a tampon, mostly when I wipe after the toilet and a little on my underwear. The colour is a mixture of brown blood tinged with red and then very dark clots.
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 minutes later
hi,

the possible causes for your problem are,

-post coital tear: which might have occurred during intercourse and continuing to show spotting while on process of healing,

-hormonal imbalance causing improper shedding of endometrium which may show minimal spotting through out the month,

-presence of cervical erosion, cervical polyp or endometrial polyps etc

if your spotting subsides it is good, if it continues better to visit gynecologist and get,
-physical examination along with speculum examination,
-ultrasound,
-hormonal analysis for estrogen, progesterone, FSH and LH.
with this workup the possible cause for your spotting could be find out and treatment can be given.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had intercourse during periods. Started spotting. What is the problem? 4 minutes later
How long should I wait before visiting my doctor if this continues?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later
hi,

if you are still having bleeding which is not decreasing better to consult doctor as it is almost 8 to 9 days over,
so that further loss can be prevented.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.