Had intercourse during ovulation time. Chances of getting pregnant?

Mar 2016

Hi i want to know what the chances are of becoming pregnant we had intercourse 3times last week and 1been close to ovulation day and 1 on the day opk was positive what are my chances cud i b expected to b pregnant my lmp is 21.1.13
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

According to your last menstrual period (21st January), you ovulate around 3rd-4th February if previous cycle was regular. So,there is high probability of being pregnant by doing unprotected sex around ovulation time, that you calculated from expected due date and by positive OPK test.

Basically, ovum can survive XXXXXXX 24 hrs following ovulation and sperm can survive XXXXXXX 3-5 days inside female genital tract after ejaculation. Therefore, fertilization takes place within life span of the ovum.

Chance of pregnancy is 65-75% in the first month for under 35 yrs women who are more concern about fertile days.

In addition, you should have to control thyroid problem & addisons disease for next pregnancy also.

To improve fertility, you should take healthy diet wit vit-E & folic acid supplements, drink plenty of water, eat more fruits & vegetables, do light exercise regularly, try to avoid stress/tension/anxiety by yoga and need adequate sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Had intercourse during ovulation time. Chances of getting pregnant? 20 minutes later
On the day of positive opk we had it with woman on top and wen is the earliest i can do test
Answered by Dr. S Patra 29 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Pregnancy does not depend on sexual position but it depends only proper timing of ovulation and unprotected sex. So, women on top position does not interfere your chance of being pregnant.

Earliest pregnancy test can be done 2 weeks after ovulation or around period due date. At that time, home pregnancy test with urine for HCG gives only 95% positive result. 95-99% positive result can be achieved after 7 days of missed period.

Estimation of beta HCG level by blood test and ultrasound scan (on 5-6 weeks) or Trans Vaginal Sonography (on 4 weeks) are the gold standard for 100% confirmation of pregnancy.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen.