Had intercourse during ovulation just after miscarriage. Started heavy spotting. HPT negative. Implantation bleeding?

the last period I had was nov 25th. I miscarried on XXXXXXX 17th. I ovulated on XXXXXXX 26th and had intercourse that same day and the day after. On feb 2nd i had light pink spotting and then the day after until today feb 6th I have had bright red to brown or black heavy spotting. but not enough to be consistent with a light period. I'm wondering if this was implanation bleeding or if I missed the boat. I have taken several preganancy tests and they have all come back negative. Do I need to wait longer before a hpt will come up positive? Or should it be coming back positive by now? My breasts are extremely soar, I get tired more easily and nauseas, I'm confused at to what is going on?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 41 minutes later

Very sorry to hear about the miscarriage. In case of any abortion,more so in the case of a viable pregnancy, it is essential that the aborted material is studied for the cause of abortion; this helps in making decisions and planning strategies in future pregnancies. Hope you got this done.

As you ovulated on 26th January, implantation bleeding would be seen most likely between 4th -8th February, had you conceived. For a HPT to come positive, the best time would be about one week after the missed period. As you did not have a normal period after your miscarriage, the best thing to do would be to wait for another week before repeating the HPT. Else, you may go for the serum beta-hCG measurement.

In polycystic ovarian disease, ovulation can happen naturally and conception is possible spontaneously, but, owing to the deficiency of progesterone, maintenance of pregnancy is difficult and abortions are frequent. This can manifest as spotting, negative pregnancy tests and chemical abortions.

The symptoms you have are not specific to early pregnancy alone, they can seen as part of premenstrual picture too.

The other possibility is that with your PCOD, you may be having a breakthrough bleeding.

You should see your gynecologist, get a trans-vaginal sonogram and a physical examination and get an advice on further management. You may be needing some hormone supplementation. Avoid further intercourse unless pregnancy is excluded.

Hope I have clarified your queries. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.