Had intercourse during menstruation. Missed next period. Is there any chances of pregnancy?

Question
Hello Doctor,
I am really worried about my wife. we just got married last month when i visited to my country & i stayed there one month. During that time we first make our intercourse but before i left my country we had our last intercourse while she was in her period time. After the intercourse her period was longer than her regular period time range. It was around 10 days, then it stopped. Now this month her period hasn't been started yet. According to her it is 2 days late already. Is it a symptom of any sign of pregnancy or any other problem? i am really worried about it and obviously we don't want any children now as we are not ready for it. what are the solutions for it? what are the ways to get rid of pregnancy before its too late?
For your information, we only had sex two times in that time and both time we used protection (condom) & i am pretty much sure nothing went inside and one more thing, she used to have the same kind of period problem of having longer period time. Looking for your answer.
Kind Regards
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Hi.

Thank you for your query.

Most important of all from the history you have given, is that your wife had her periods during your last sexual contact. If this information is correct then a pregnancy is not possible. From the history that you have given of your wife, she has a positive history for menstrual problems (irregular periods), so a delay of 2 days is currently not an issue.

If you still want to be sure, you could use a urine pregnancy kit. This kit will help detect pregnancy around 2 weeks since sexual contact, and is usually advised to be used on the first day of a missed period.

Yes there are medications available to prevent pregnancy immediately after sexual contact, but in my opinion need not worry about that as your wife was having her period during your last sexual contact and during this period, getting pregnant is not possible. Do not worry.

I hope this information has helped. Feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Had intercourse during menstruation. Missed next period. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 2 days later
Hi doc, this is his wife XXXXXXX. I'm having few problems like I'm having severe lower abdominal pain, my period color has changed into light pink and having a urination problem. The lower abdominal pain is so painful that I can't take it anymore and I dont know if the color change is harmful or not. ANd the urination part is that frequently I'm having this problem that a urination pressure occurs but when I try to urinate its not happening. In the first place I thought that probably it was for dehydration then I started drinking plenty of water but this idea isn't helping either. Can you give me a solution?.

Thanks, regards.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for writing to me.

XXXXXXX, it appears to me that you could be suffering from a urinary tract infection (UTI). This will require a urine analysis (to confirm the infection) and a urine culture to decide which antibiotic will best cure you. A potassium based oral solution will also greatly help. Please visit a doctor at the earliest, who will surely help relieve you of your trouble.

In the meantime, you could drink plenty of water and cranberry juice. Both of them will help to a certain extent.

Coming to the part where you mentioned you repeatedly experience this (UTI). Is this frequency only now (this particular time), or has this occurred in the past. If this has occurred in the past, there could be some underlying condition that is causing the repeated UTIs. Please discuss this with your doctor as well; an ultrasound analysis would greatly help.

A pink discharge is sometimes normally seen at the beginning of a period; it is otherwise a sign of an infection.

I hope this information helps. Please write back to me if you have any further queries. I would love to help.

Best wishes.

Thank you Doc for your support. Yes I have been having this UTIs probelem even if I wasn't in my periods. But, now the pink thing has stopped although the urination things is still there.

So, Doc do I've to do the urine analysis and ultrasound analysis?

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX.

Yes XXXXXXX, please go ahead with a urine analysis, a urine culture and an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. The first two will help diagnose the UTI and help find the best antibiotic to treat your infection and the third will help in finding the cause for the recurrent UTIs.

I wish you a beautiful and healthy life ahead XXXXXXX.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Had intercourse during menstruation. Missed next period. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 27 hours later
Hello doc.

So I would jst bother you one last time should I go to a gynocologist?

Thanks doc..

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX. No bother at all, I am here only to help you.

Yes you will have to. You could visit either a urologist (who treats UTIs in both males and females) or a gynecologist who treats only women with UTIs. Either will do.

If my answers have helped you, you could rate them after closing the discussion. Wishing you good health always and a beautiful life ahead.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Had intercourse during menstruation. Missed next period. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 45 hours later
Thank you very much doc.. It was very helpful..

Take Care.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
You are most welcome.

Although I hope the two of you enjoy a beautiful and healthy life together and don't need any medical assistance again, if you ever do, write back to me for any further clarifications. You can also rate my answers after closing this discussion. My best wishes are with the two of you always.

Take care XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Had intercourse during menstruation. Missed next period. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 3 days later
Hi again doc,

One more query if we need you again in future for any circumstance how do we contact you?

Can you gives us your email address or anything else that we can reach you,
If its not against the law or if you dont mind.

Thanks for al your support

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
Hello my dear XXXXXXX

Unfortunately I am not allowed to share my private details on the forum, this was informed to me before I signed up on this forum.

But if the two of you ever need me in the future, you will always find me on XXXXXXX Even if I am unavailable, XXXXXXX will contact me and let me know that I have a query posted by you, and I shall be at your service immediately.

Your well wisher.
Dr. Shoaib Khan