Had intercourse and mirena removed. Missing periods. Home pregnancy test negative. Is this normal?

I am a 31 y/o female. I had the mirena removed on 6/4/ 12 and had withdrawal bleeding on 6/6/12. My LMP while on Mirena was 5/27/12. The night before removal, I had intercourse with my husband (not knowing it could put me at risk for pregnancy). I have not had any period since the withdrawal bleeding. I have taken several home pregnancy tests and they have all been negative. If I count the withdrawal bleeding as my last period, I am 7 days late. I have always been on a 28/29 day cycle. Even during the 18 months I was on Mirena I never missed a period.

Is it normal to have a delayed period after removal of Mirena? Could I still possibly be pregnant even though I have had several negative home pregnancy test?
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through the history mentioned above.

Mirena is a hormonal device put in body. It acts by slowly releasing hormones which are needed to keep periods regular. But when it is removed, body takes some time to return to normal menstrual cycles.

Once Mirena is removed, one can wait for 6 weeks to get periods. Even if after 6 weeks you do not get periods, other causes needs to be considered.

I would suggest you to wait for one more week for the periods to occur. Though you have had several pregnancy tests, I would suggest you to repeat it once more / qualitative blood human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) if you do not have the periods by this week - that would rule out pregnancy.

Do not worry. Get the test done after a week. If pregnancy is ruled out, visit your gynecologist who can start you on pills to induce period.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.