Had intercourse after taking ipill. Chances of pregnancy?

hi.i am anupriya from kolkata.had one doubt ...i had i pill few days back and on the same day i had i have any chances to get pregnent.i had the pill at around 12 noon and had sex at around 1 in the night...kindly let me know the chances
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 19 minutes later
Hi Anupriya,

I-pill is an emergency contraceptive pill and provides protection against pregnancy only if taken within 72 hours of intercourse. It does not provide any protection for consecutive intercourse sessions performed after pill intake.

It is good that you have taken the tablet within suggested period. But, There are small chances of pregnancy especially if it was the ovulation or fertile period (9 to 16 days in a regular 28 to 30 day cycle) then risk is there. Emergency contraceptives lower the risk dramatically, but, does not exclude altogether.

Regular emergency pill intake can cause hormonal imbalance and altered cycles.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up if any.