Had intercourse after periods. Took ipill. Started spotting and missing periods. HPT negative. Any advice?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Good
Question
Hi, I had my last normal period on 12th of May after which I had intercourse on 23rd May and took an I pill (morning after pill) on 24th May. I had a period on 27th May which lasted till 31st May. In XXXXXXX I had spotting from 12th to 15th but no period. I have been having cramps like I am going to have my period for the last 3 weeks now ie since July 1st week but not had it till date.I took 2 home pregnancy test on 2nd July and 12th July - both negative. Very confused and worried - feel bloated and uneasy with the cramps and stressed because I am not planning a baby. Visited a local gynaec who asked me to wait till 30th July and do another home preg test. Pls advice.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi XXXXXX,

i pill is a emergency contraceptive pill that can usually protect from pregnancy as you have taken within 24 hours of intercourse,
they are having side effects like menstrual irregularities, they can prepone and postpone the periods depending on the time when they have taken,

so as you took tablet in first half of the cycle they might have preponed your periods, may be because of that there was bleeding from 27th May to 31st May,
they can also cause side effects like spotting, abdominal cramps, bloating sensation etc that may be responsible for your other symptoms,

but as they are having 1% failure rate better to check for pregnancy once, as some urine pregnancy test kits are less sensitive in early pregnancy you can go for blood test for pregnancy now,
if not you can wait as your doctor told and go for urine test again and if needed ultrasound which will rule out the chances of pregnancy.
as frequent taking of pills can affect menstrual cycles, so better to shift to regular method of contraception.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had intercourse after periods. Took ipill. Started spotting and missing periods. HPT negative. Any advice? 16 hours later
Thanks Doctor, Can a blood HCG test be done without a doctors recommendation at any lab and will it be conclusive or would I still have to go for an ultrasound?
Also till what time can a pregnancy be safely terminated by taking oral pills?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,
better to go through doctor's recommendation if you are having any problem you can also directly give sample in lab, usually this will rule out the possibility,
but depending on the result if positive to know the gestational age or if negative to know the cause of your menstrual irregularity you may need ultrasound.

termination of pregnancy by pills can be done up to 8 weeks of gestation, but that should be after getting examined by gynecologist and after ruling out ectopic pregnancy by ultrasound.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.