Had intercourse. Took contraceptive pill. Missing periods. Possibility of pregnancy?

Question
i had sex 5 months back. (May 3rd and 4th...but i took an emergency contracepetive pill just be be certain though there was no ejaculation....i got my periods on 18th May, then on 16th XXXXXXX and then again on 20th July. But today is 20th September I have not got my periods since July. Is there a possibilty that I am pregnant?
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 15 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Since you had periods for 3 months after sex, possibility of pregnancy is quiet unlikely.

There are many causes of delayed periods like this. Common causes are ovarian and hormonal issues.

I would recommend a primary evaluation by sonography.This will help to find out cause of delayed period and also rule out pregnancy.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.

Follow-up: Had intercourse. Took contraceptive pill. Missing periods. Possibility of pregnancy? 3 minutes later
Will a home pregnancy kit be able to help me? I am planning to take the test today.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 minutes later
Yes, you can give it a try. But even if it is positive or negative you will have to get other investigations done. As said early I don't expect it to be positive though.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had intercourse. Took contraceptive pill. Missing periods. Possibility of pregnancy? 4 hours later
I took a urine pregnancy test (home pregnancy test) and it was negative. Is this result reliable? Moreover, what should be my next course of action?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
The results are often reliable.But false results are known.So I guess next step would be a sonography or if needed HCG levels.

Regards.