Had intercourse. Missing period. Which medicine should be taken to get period?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Poor

OBGYN
Question
which medicine should be taken to induce periods? My periods is delayed for 2 days and i have a thinking that i m pregnant... and i dont want to be pregnant!!! i had a physical contact with my fiance 2 weeks back... Please help me out and just tell the name of the medicine so that i can induce periods!!! i wont be able to do a pregnancy test in this duration... I just want to get rid of this situation
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. S Patra 44 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, you have to undergo one home pregnancy test with urine or blood test for beta-HCG to confirm pregnancy.

Without confirmation of pregnancy, you can't take any kind of abortion pill or period induced medication as it has several side effects including excessive vaginal bleeding which you may not control yourself.

Second thing, 1-7 days period date alteration is normal thing and mostly occurs due to hormonal imbalance & mental stress/ psychological upset.

Following pregnancy test report, you may contact with gynecologist or health care provider for next line of management.

In the mean time, you must do these things:

1) Take healthy diet with carotene based vegetables.
2) Complete avoidance of fatty/ junk/ salty food stuff.
3) Try to avoid stress/ upset by regular yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing exercise.
4) Drink more water/ fluid and keep bowel habit regular.
5) Maintain personal hygiene and take a sound sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

Wish your good health and always practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had intercourse. Missing period. Which medicine should be taken to get period? 13 minutes later
Sir i m also paramedical research student , so i m aware all the things stated by you... i also know the drug name but i m not sure!!! i m in a very grave situation , my project completion is standing at my head & i cant take unneccessary tension.... i really dont have time... please try na understand... help me out please

Answered by Dr. S Patra 16 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your response in follow up section. I am happy to help you.

I understand your problem and current situation. But doing one home pregnancy test is very simple and cheaper than any other investigation. It helps you to clear all doubt and keep you in safe place.

Depending on pregnancy test, you may need to contact with your healthcare provider for relevant investigation & clinical examination. Proper medication or treatment depends on underlying etiology. These are prescription only medication and you get prescribed medication only from your healthcare provider.

Hope, you understand my points. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had intercourse. Missing period. Which medicine should be taken to get period? 6 minutes later
Please tell me in what time after conceiving a home pregnancy kit gives reliable results.. its been just 2 week after having physical intimacy!! What are the chances of getting pregnant even after the usage of condom? I can assure you that there was no bursting of the condom

Answered by Dr. S Patra 26 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query.

Generally, home pregnancy test gives 95% positive result 2 weeks after ovulation or around missed period. 96-99% positive result is achieved 7 days after missed period.

100% reliable & confirmatory investigation for pregnancy is blood test for beta-HCG with one ultrasound scan of lower abdomen.

Pregnancy depends on proper timing of both ovulation (14 days prior to expected due date) or fertile days and unprotected sex with ejaculation.

It seems to me that you were involved in sexual intercourse within fertile days or close to ovulation time if you had regular period previously.

Protected sex with using condom has failure rate near about 14% and totally depends on fertile period of individual woman.

Dr Soumen.