Had intercourse. Missed diane35. What are the possibility to get pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi

I'm taking XXXXXXX 35 since XXXXXXX ..I had sex last Sept.8 which is my 6th fertility day...but still using diane35 on Sept.1 a day after my last period...but before I had sex I missed a tablet one night during my first week taking it but I followed taking it right away the next morning and took another one same day at night...is still there a possibility that I may get pregnant since then I'm still taking the last 5 tablets and im going to take it till this sept.21st
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 48 minutes later

According to your description complete protection from the pack can be expected because of the facts like:
-As you have taken the missed pill within 24 hours.
-Also took the next pill at regular time.
-And continued taking remaining pills at regular basis.

So according to contraceptive pill guidelines complete protection can be expected.
But as the pills are having some amount of general failure rate(though very low), if you miss next period better to go for pregnancy test once.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had intercourse. Missed diane35. What are the possibility to get pregnant? 1 hour later
HI Doctor

question

But as the pills are having some amount of general failure rate(though very low)>>> what do you mean by this? meaning that there's still a possibility that I may get pregnant? and I have this lower abdominal pain right now and having a white discharge this time now...it is a sign that I can possibly have my period by next week?

I just wanna make sure...this making me worried as I am not that ready to be a mother right now...

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

General failure rate means not only in you but also in all contraceptive users there could be some amount of failure rate.
That is very low with combined hormonal pills i.e.<1%.
So because of this we cannot give a statement that you will never get pregnancy being on pill.
But can say that the possibility is very low.
Your symptoms could be premenstrual features and possibly you will get periods soon.
Don't worry the possibility of pregnancy is very low, if at all test comes positive at the early stage you can go for medical termination without need of surgical procedures.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had intercourse. Missed diane35. What are the possibility to get pregnant? 7 hours later
hi doctor!

so the pregnancy possibility is very low so meaning I should be a little relaxed?

another thing is if I got my period, is that means that I am not pregnant or after my period should I be worried because of i might be pregnant afterward if I did not have my period the next month?

thank you for all the answers...I think I should wait for my period to come...

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later

Yes, as the chance is less you need not worry.
I you got your regular period with sufficient flow and duration it indicates the absence of pregnancy.
No need to follow in next month unless you have unprotected intercourse after getting periods means in the next cycle.
If you miss the period only you have to think about pregnancy.