Had injury while playing sport. Advised for MRI scan for ligament tear. What is it?

Hi Dr,
Please explain me about Ligament tare, as i had an injury while playing sport. I had consulted the Dr, he advised me to take a MRI Scan he is doubting that it may be Ligament tare, so kindly help me on this.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Ligaments are the fibrous tissue that connect one bone to another. They keep the joint flexible and control their range of motion and stabilize the joint.

When a joint is extended beyond a particular point ligament tear occurs. Many athletes injure the ligaments of various joints like knee, shoulder, ankle etc while running, throwing, jumping etc.

Post a ligamental injury there may be swelling of the joint and instability of the joint. A doctor can arrive at the diagnosis by a physical examination and ordering investigations like X-ray (to rule out fracture of the bone) and MRI.

Conservative treatment of minor ligamental tare includes rest, physiotherapy etc. Some cases require surgical intervention.

Hope this helps.