Had injury on thigh. Bruise developed and having muscle pain. Chances of femur to be damaged?

Hello, I suffered an injury 10 days ago at my farm. I was kicked in the thigh, outer, quite squarely by a 5 year old gelding. I am in excellent shape but this dropped me. Several days passed with much pain. I visited my family doctor after bruising developed inside my thigh and around my knee. He was not concerned and sent me on my way. Now 6 days later and I have more pain inside of my leg and knee. Wondering if my femur could be damaged?
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 44 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a little more in order to come to a better conclusion.

1. Is your thigh swollen as well?
2. Are you having trouble walking? Getting up from sitting position
3. How can you best describe the pain. Pricking, dull aching, catching,etc
4. Were you partially relieved by painkillers?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Had injury on thigh. Bruise developed and having muscle pain. Chances of femur to be damaged? 43 hours later

I apologize for the delay in my response. I had trouble with login. Regarding your quesions.

1. My thigh is swollen at the point of impact.
2. I have trouble after about noon every day. The morning is ok. My knee has developed some swelling as well.
3. The pain starts as mentioned above around noon and I would describe it as a tide. It just shows up and by evening hours it is 6 out of 10.
4. My doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer which puts me to sleep. I take it around 6pm and ice my leg and then go to bed at 9pm.
Thank you and kindest regards too you as well.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later

Thanks for replying

From the answers you have given it looks like you are suffering from injury to the muscle and I am not suspecting any fracture. It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the pain to subside as the injury would have caused tear in some of the muscle fibres and those have to be re build by your body.
Along with the muscle relaxant I would recommend you take anti inflammatory agents like aceclofenac for the pain and also it would help reduce the edema (swelling). Please approach your doctor for a prescription
I would also advice you the following

1. Blood test total cpk to assess the amount of muscle injury
2. A diclofenac gel for local application around the swelling and pain (cant be used if you have an open wound)
3. Adequate rest to the affected limb
4. Continue ice packs
5. Avoid exercise as it will further worsen the situation

I hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to answer any further ones

I wish you a speedy recovery

Thank you