Had injured wrist and x-ray was normal. Doctor asked it may take more time for fracture to show on x-ray. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi I injured my left wrist about two weeks ago while playing games volleyball during mh vacation in cuba. About five days after I saw a doctor in an emergency room after I got back from my vacation but the doctor said that they didn't see a fracture in the xrys but the doctor today me that sometimes it takes more than five days for the fracture to show up in xrays and that if the pain doesn't go away to see my family doctor and he could really-xrays it. Is it possible for a fracture to not show up in xrays?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Yes it is possible for a fracture to not show up in initial xrays. At wrist joint it is common with fracture scaphoid.
So if the pain is still present and you are not able to lift weight, go fo a repeat xray of wrist under your doctor guidence to see any possible fracture.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow-up: Had injured wrist and x-ray was normal. Doctor asked it may take more time for fracture to show on x-ray. Suggest? 2 hours later
You mean if the fracture doesn't show up in the initial x-rays it will increase untill it shows up in the later x-rays?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Fracture shown in later x-ray does'nt means that it will increase. Actually at this time(10-14 days later), the healing process will have started in the bone, which will help the fracture site to show up.

Hope this will helps you and clear all your doubts.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had injured wrist and x-ray was normal. Doctor asked it may take more time for fracture to show on x-ray. Suggest? 5 days later
For sure the healing process will show up in the x-rays 10-14 days later? What if it's a very small area? For sure the doctor or the radiologist would be able to see it? What would the healing process of a fracture look like in an X-ray? Thanks

An Orthopedic doctor or Radiologist would able to see it because they would know the anatomy of even small bone like scaphoid in detail.
Different views of x-ray would be helpful to see the fracture line and healing process. Clinical evaluation is equally important to co-relate with radiological findings.

Healing process of a fracture in an x-ray looks like dense margin (callus formation). Your doctor or radiologist would be able to see this healing process on an x-ray.

Hope this helps you and the things go well.