Had injured forearm resulting in subcutaneous bleeding and a purple bruising. Anything serious?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I had a rod iron chair fall on my right forearm resulting in subcutaneous bleeding and a purple colored bruising. What are potential causes of such reactions? thanks in advance.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

There is just one possible cause of it: Injury of subcutaneous blood vessel (vein or artery).

The only question is, was it intensive hit which would cause subcutaneous hematoma in any healthy person or it was minor hit which isn't likely to cause bleeding; in this case you should do some hematological tests to rule out coagulation disorders(platelet count, INR,clotting factors).

But, I think this is just vein breakage and this explains your symptoms. It usually looks worse then it is,but hematoma will be resorbed in 5-7 days and swelling pulled back completely. It is only important that there is no loss of sensation, loss of pulsation of radial artery and muscle weakness, so if you notice these,you should visit doctor.

Wish you good health.