Had injection in lower back. Suffering from back pain. What could be causing this pain?

I have had injection in my lower back in the past, and now I am suffering with back pain every day. I do not want surgery. I have this constant burning sensation all the time. What could be causing this pain?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spinal X XXXXXXX CT scan MRI and ESR

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Many conditions could be at the origin of this pain. These could range from infections, especially of you experience any fever or malaise. Tuberculosis of the spine could cause constant lower back pain.

Inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis can also cause back pain. Hernias of the spine , due to dysfunction of the spinal natural mechanical system could cause back ache. Tumors and cysts of the spine are also common causes of pain.

A past history of trauma or manipulation like injections could also explain the pain. Abscesses of the spine also manifest themselves in form of pain.

An appropriate clinical evaluation and examination remain key in the diagnosis and management. Spinal x rays, Ct scans and an MRI could be very informative. A complete blood count with raised white cells could suggest an infectious origin. An erythrocyte sedimentation fate, a marker of chronic inflammation is usually very high in spinal TB.

I suggest you book an appointment with a neurosurgeon for a complete clinical review and testing. feel free asking follow up questions in case you got specific concerns. Depending on the cause and the extent of disease, treatment could be medical or surgical. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Bain LE, MD