Had inguinal hernia. Re operated to remove needles and sponges. Undergoing fertility treatment. Not able to deliver sperms. What to do?

Infertility Specialist
I underwent a left inguinal hernia procedure in 1970 while active duty with the USMC, while stationed at Long Beach Naval Hospital. I finally [after 40 years] recovered my medical & surgical records from that procedure. There were complications in that the surgeon left needles and sponges in my abdomes. I had to be re-operated on to remove same. The handwritten surgical record indicated that my seminal cords and vas deferens were severed, but never repaired. Since then, my wife & I have underwent fertility treatments, only to discover that because of the surgery, I cannot deliver any sperm. Does this sound reasonable from a medical perspective to explain my sterility?
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply : 1) If your seminal cords and vas deferens are severed on both sides, you might get azoospermia as no sperm in semen. In that instance, it is not possible to conceive. 2) You can get TESA procedure done to see if there is sperm production in your testes. I hope i answered your query. Please let me know if there are any more questions. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist