Ask a Urologist   »  

Had inflammation on penis. Feeling painful. Cancer possibility?

My brother is 64 and few months ago had inflamtion on his penis are . Was very bad as had prob sitting , walking etc and extremley painful. He was seen in dermatology and underwent a biopsy too.biopsy revealed inflammation.

After few months, same problem has returned. He getting alot of discomfort, pain etc .is penile cancer a possibility?
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your brother has been experiencing.

There is no better way to say someone has penile cancer than a biopsy itself. If the biopsy ruled out this, then for sure it is not it. However, repeated ulcer on the penis would predispose him to penile cancer in the long run.

For now, my advice is that his doctor should probe further and look for the various factors that are favoring the onset of this ulcers and address them lest it would continue thus. Has he been circumcised? If not it may be a reason to consider doing so.

I wish your brother a speedy recovery. Feel free to ask me follow up related questions for clarification.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Had inflammation on penis. Feeling painful. Cancer possibility? 8 hours later
Hi he had biopsy April this year which revealed some inflammation..... As this has re occurred again should we push his dr to do another one again ?

They just keep giving different steroid creams and say its psorises . But if it was psorises , it would not be this painful and irritating would it?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 12 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
The interval is too short to warrant another biopsy at this time.

What hurts are the wounds and not psoriasis itself. So long as he has wounds, the pain and irritation would always be present. Did the biopsy show any findings in favor of psoriasis? Hope it did else I may question the diagnosis itself. Is he having this any where else because this is not a typical site for psoriasis.

I hope this addresses the query, meticulous wound care is key and treating predisposing factors is of paramount interest.

I wish him a speedy recovery.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Had inflammation on penis. Feeling painful. Cancer possibility? 4 minutes later
Yea hes had psorises for years on and off . Yea it might br good to double check if biopsy result confirmed psorises or inflammation .

I think dermatologist said psorises n biopsy resilt was inflammtion i think
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, inflammation and vascular proliferation

Detailed Answer:
Inflammation and vascular proliferation are the histological features of psoriasis on a biopsy specimen.

Double check and make sure these were the findings.

No matter the diagnosis, local wound care takes precedence and control of the predisposing factor with medications. If it is psoriasis, then let him get treated for that.

Wish him well.

Dr. Ditah, MD