Had indulged in oral sex. Licked vagina. Chances of HIV infection?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question

I had indulged in oral sex ie licking the top of vagina for a minute .During that time i didnt felt any secretion coming from her vagina...i noticed properly as there are no cuts in my mouth too...but still whether there is any chance of getting HIV if i swallowd some secretion .

Please help me out..wat will be exact time to get tested...
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Quite low chance of HIV. Do PCR DNA test.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Yes, you can get HIV infection from swallowing vaginal fluid or secretion through infected (HIV positive) partner. However, risk of HIV transmission is quite low in comparison to unprotected anal or vaginal sex.

2) It is quite better to get tested if you don't know the status of sex partner & you will stay in safe zone. For your concern, most sensitive & specific test for early detection of HIV is PCR DNA. It detects genetic material of HIV instead of antibody in blood. It is also known as viral load test.

It has less window period & usually done after 28 days from last exposure for accurate result. Kindly, consult with your healthcare provider or contact with laboratory to perform the test as early as possible.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had indulged in oral sex. Licked vagina. Chances of HIV infection? 10 hours later
I read somewhere even if there is cuts or soars in mouth then only there is a provision in getting affected...Is it true...or swallowing itself is responsible for having HIV.I am very tensed....

Answered by Dr. S Patra 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is true but Swallowing has low risk.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Cuts or sores over the skin is a definite route of entry for HIV transmission from infected partner. However, swallowing of vaginal fluid has certain risk to get HIV infection as it enters the body directly. Here, chance is quite low but you need to confirm that by undergoing HIV test.

Second thing, clinical manifestation of HIV infection occurs lately and you can't exclude them in early stage without test. It has window period for 3 to 6 months.

To summarize, you have to undergo above mentioned test to clear confusion and stay in safe zone. It gives you mental relief.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had indulged in oral sex. Licked vagina. Chances of HIV infection? 16 minutes later
what will be the time to undergo test and to make fully ensure that i am not having HIV

if im not having hiv ,what will the result of viral load say...0% hiv or we all have some traces of that virus or virus level above some optimum level is risky

Answered by Dr. S Patra 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do PCR DNA test after 28 days.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

1) Most sensitive and specific test for early detection of HIV is PCR DNA. It is basically done after 28 days from last exposure for accurate result. The test is costly.

2) The result will show "NOT DETECTED" in case of negative for HIV infection.

Hope, I have cleared your confusion. Best wishes to you.

Dr Soumen