Had implanted Implanon after medical abortion. Had unprotected sex. Chances of getting pregnant?

Question
Hi there!

I just had my medical abortion on the 16&18th of October and had implanted Implanon NXT on the 23rd of October and my partner and I had sex on the 26th which caused an accident as the condom broke and he came inside. Will I be pregnant? Should I take the morning after pill? Thank you!
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 43 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you.

The chance of pregnancy based on when you had the abortion and when the condom broke (around cycle day#8-9) is incredibly unlikely. Also, starting the implanon probably further decreased these chances by further delaying ovulation.

While this is an educated response, nothing is 100%. Since you are within 72 hours of the unprotected intercourse, just to be safe, I think that most OB/GYN's would recommend going ahead with the morning after pill.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Follow-up: Had implanted Implanon after medical abortion. Had unprotected sex. Chances of getting pregnant? 18 minutes later
So the implant is effective straight away after insertion?

So it would be 99% that pregnancy is unlikely to happen?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Bases on the timing of the implant with the recent pregnancy, I would say that you are relatively well protected. But I would not place this at 99% until it has been in place for one month. So for the next 4 weeks use condoms!! Given that you just had an unplanned pregnancy, I would strongly recommend doing everything you can to avoid this situation again within the next month.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Follow-up: Had implanted Implanon after medical abortion. Had unprotected sex. Chances of getting pregnant? 39 minutes later
Thank you so much! Haha :) Emergency pill it is :)

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 36 hours later
Good luck with everything. If there are any followup questions, please ask a new question and feel free to ask me as ""Dr. Tim".

Please also take a moment to leave feedback!