Had impacted wisdom teeth. Prescribed clindamycin. Developed infection. Taking antibiotics. Help?

Question
My daughter had 4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted 2 weeks ago; she then developed 3 dry sockets and an infection. She wAs given Clindamycin 300mg 3x day 5 days ago. Didn't help and has seen oral surgeon several times to change packing of dry socket. Thurs he discovered infection under packing and he irrigated it and told her to keep taking antibiotics. She is still in a lot of pain, doesn't feel well at all and has been out of work. Sat he changed antibiotic to amoxicillan 50mg 4x day. She can't do anything and I am very worried about her. She is 32 yr old; what should we do next? Ask for CT scan; maybe she needs IV antibiotics. Something is definitely wrong!! Please help; thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to the XXXXXXX

Thanks for sharing your concern.

The dental history mentioned by you indicates that your daughter has developed recurrent post extraction infections.

However, please do not worry; slowly she will recover.

Dry socket develops due to clot dislodgement. That means the clot that was suppose to bring about healing by now has been disintegrated. Therefore, the sockets are exposed and infected. This is the cause for severe pain to her.

A case of dry socket is treated by placing medicated antiseptic dressing in the socket and changing it on regular basis. In addition, mild antiseptic rinsing of socket is also done, whenever required.

Precaution should be maintained and very good oral hygiene is required to bring about faster healing. Please remember first the clot should form and then the healing will occur subsequently. This is time consuming, nearly two weeks is required.

I would like to suggest that, there is no need for CT scan in a case of dry socket, as the reason is well established by clinical evaluation.

In addition, your dentist has recently changed the antibiotic, so that will take care. Please take complete course. Again, IV antibiotics are not required.

It is localized infection and it will heal but definitely, it will take time.

One thing I would like to suggest you that, if you are not satisfied with your present dentist you can definitely go for, second opinion, but please remember that until now the treatment offered is in right direction.

I also believe that, approach that is a little more hygienic is required.

For further query, please let me know.

Thanks and Take care.