Had impacted wisdom teeth. Mouth swollen on one side and have soreness. On amoxicillin and zpack. Having fever. Suggest

My daughter had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed 5/31/13. Nothing too unusual post procedure-antibiotics for a week.. 6/30/13 her right side of her mouth swelled and some soreness she was back at college-oral surgeon prescribed another week of clindamycin but higher dose but never saw her. 4 days after finishing antibiotics had draining pus from right lower extraction site-saw another dentist who did and I & D and put her on amoxicillin for 10 day (7/12/13) Now four days after finishing this has ear infection documented by the health clinic at the school she attends who prescribed a zpack which she didn't fill last night since it was late. Today woke with a fever100.7 feeing generally lousy right ear painful to touch no problem in the mouth. She is going back to the dentist this am I am 5 hours from her and worried that she could develop a blood infection. What are the next steps...should she have blood cultures drawn. I don't understand how a procedure was done on month prior and no signs of infection showed until several weeks earlier.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Dear Madam ,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I see that your daughter has developed may be periapical abscess for which I and D was done . The antibiotics that have been prescribed to her are appropriate .

The pain that she is experiencing in ears is a radiating pain that can occur with these abscesses . But having fever is a bad sign and she needs to see a dentist immediately . Yes definitely blood cultures should be taken but more important is the culture sensitivity of pus that was drained earlier because only by that exact antibiotic can be started . Your treating dentist must have sent the sample for that.

There is a chance that the two episodes be unrelated but higher probability is that they are related . I advise you to ask your daughter to see dentist immediately because oral examination is necessary to find out the exact cause .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti