Had ileostomy and colon removed completely. Given align probiotics. Is it worth taking?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I had an ileostomy a year ago. I had my colon removed completely ( not from cancer )
While in the hospital, they gave me Align probiotics. I have done some research on them, some say if you don't have a colon, it doesn't do any good for the system. These are expensive so I would like to know if they worth while using?

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
There is no much scientific data about this,but in general,you are right,probiotics are used to stabilize colon microbiologic flora. The benefit of probiotics is not questionable in subtotal colectomies and colectimies with "J pouch" for ulcerative colitis.
In total colectomies with ileostomy, probiotics will have no or minor effects and it is up to you will you take it or not. In some patients it may stabilize small intestinal motility and decrease bloating so they continue to use it. Other, dont see any improvement so this is individual.Also ,it depends on what kind of probiotic is used.Probiotics definitely wont cause higher nutritional absorbtion in small bowels which would be important for you.
You can always try to compare is there difference between taking and not-taking it and of course you can find some cheaper probiotic.
i dont think that Align bifantis is something more special than regular LGG probiotics even in healthy people and especially for you: it is more important to follow proper diet. wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards