Had i-pill after sex. Missed period. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

Hi doctor...m 21 yrs old and i and my boyfriemd had sex and on the next 3rd day to that i got my periods for 2 days and then with a gap of 2 weeks i got periods of 3 days again...and this month its been 3rd and i still didnt got periods..after sex i evn had i there any serious problem???
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later

Following taking I-Pill, a withdrawal bleeding will appear within 7 days which you got on 3rd day after sex. Taking the pill within first 24 hrs gives protection more than 95% against unwanted pregnancy.

2nd time bleeding after a gap of 2 weeks may be due to hormonal imbalance or implantation bleeding.

It is quite common phenomena to get delayed period up to 7 days on next cycle due to effect of the pill and mental stress.

If you do not get your period in next 7 days, you undergo one home pregnancy test with urine initially & blood test for beta-HCG to confirm pregnancy. You may require pelvic ultrasound scan in addition. After that, you can consult with gynecologist for next line of management.

Try to avoid mental stress by yoga/ meditation and take healthy diet with more vegetables & drink more water. Take sound sleep and practice safe sex in future.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen