Had hysterectomy, prolapsed vagina and endometrial cyst removal. Have had abdominal pain, incontinence and urinary bloating. Cause?

Question
Had hysterectomy last year and rectus abdominal repair. This year had prolapsed vagina and endometrial cyst removal. Ever since had abdominal pain off and on. Incontinence urinary bloating & distended stomach. Have found diverticular disease and ulcer in stomach. Why am I bloated reduced appetite and full after small meals
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The symptoms that you are having- pain, bloating and reduced appetite are related to diverticular disease. The urinary incontinence may be related to the weak muscles as you had a vaginal prolapse.
Most cases of mild diverticular disease can be treated at home.
The over-the-counter (OTC) painkiller paracetamol is recommended to help relieve your symptoms. Having a high fiber diet will help in reducing the symptoms. In case the pain is persistent then oral antibotics may be needed to take care of the symptoms. Taking a few drops of peppermint oil after meals may help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Had hysterectomy, prolapsed vagina and endometrial cyst removal. Have had abdominal pain, incontinence and urinary bloating. Cause? 22 hours later
They found the "severe but uncomplicated diverticular disease" via CT Scan but not by colonoscopy. So do i even know that i have it? and what things can i do apart from a high fibre diet, which i am already doing can i do to avoid diverticulitis?
Had a gastroscope yesterday and the ulcer is partially healed. Im still really struggling with bloating and distension which is not helped by the high fibre diet at all?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 59 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If it is diagnosed by CT scan, even then the diagnosis is likely to be correct as it is a severe disease.
For bloating and distension, some foods to be avoided include certain fermentable short-chained carbohydrates that are degradable by intestinal bacteria yielding large amount of gases, like hydrogen or carbon dioxide, thus causing belching and bloating. Such food include

1. White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, and asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots and chicory based coffee substitutes.

2. Legumes (soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils), cabbage and brussel sprouts.

3. Honey, dried fruits like prunes, figs, dates, or raisins, apples, pears, sweet cherries, peaches, agave syrup, watermelon, papaya.

You can also use OTC medications mentioned below to have some relief.

1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.

2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.

3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to have gas.

I hope the suggestions given are helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Had hysterectomy, prolapsed vagina and endometrial cyst removal. Have had abdominal pain, incontinence and urinary bloating. Cause? 42 minutes later
I have taken all of them out of my diet. The charcocaps don't do anything at all and it seems second rate that i have to take antacids for the rest of my life to ease symptoms. arent they harmful long-term? I dont have gas, its not an issue?? Im fed-up cause no one seems to be helping. I get the same answers, change your diet and it will be fixed. I've done that and its not fixed. I give up. Thanks for your help anyway!

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
If the dietary changes are not helping then some prescription medicines like reglan or a few drops of peppermint oil after meals will help.
It takes time and patience for such chronic problems to get relieved.
Please do not worry. You will be in a better health soon with the help of your physician.
Best regards.