Had hysterectomy for ovarian cancer. Need check up?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
ovarian cancerI would like to know if I still need check ups with my gynocologist. I had ovarian cancer 2 years ago. They did a full hysterectomy on me. I am 55 .

They did
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
The answer is that it should be followed up for at least 5 years,if after that there is no sign of recurrence gynaecology check-ups may be done as usual.
If hysterectomy was performed without chemo or radiotherapy it is obvious that tehre were no signs of metastasis or tumor infiltration of adjacent organs
In most cases this is the final treatment of ovarian cancer, but check ups must be done to detect any sign of recurrence on time.In such cases recurrence means that there might be micrometastasis which wasnt seen during the surgery but it can grow and be detectable till 5 years later. This is the worst and rare scenario, but it is better do those check ups which should include sonography, basic physical exam,basic lab and most important: tumor markers. Depending on your gynaecologist's opinion it can be done once or twice a year. There is no reason to be concerned about it, these arent invasive diagnostic procedures and it will make you feel more untensioned about your previous disease.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help