Had hysterectomy done. Experiencing pain, passing blood in stool. Have different size of ovary. Normal?

Radiologist
Question
I had a hysterectomy on Feb 11 2013 an dI am having a lot of pain still. I had an ultrasound done today and the sizes of each ovary are different. My left ovary volume is 6.78ml the length is 2.65cm the height is 1.97 cm and the width is 2.46cm My right ovary volume is 14.29ml the lenght is 2.90 cm the height is 2.95 and the width is 3.19cm I am in constant pain and I am passing bright red blood when i have a bowel movement. Is any of this normal?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
There are two different problems. Your right ovary is slightly bulky which may also cause for continuous pain. Other problem, passing of bright red blood in stool is not at all related to uterine or ovarian problem. It is possibly due to any fissure or rectal fibroma.
In view of history of neurofibromatosis, I will suggest please get CT abdomen done. It will delineate all possible etiologies of pain and bleeding. Before that please consult your surgeon for clinical examination and advise.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had hysterectomy done. Experiencing pain, passing blood in stool. Have different size of ovary. Normal? 5 hours later
Would my ovary being enlarged be causing my abdomen to be so swollen. It looks like I am about 6 months pregnant. I am confused as to why my ovary is so much larger than the other. What could be causing it to be larger than the other?

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 59 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.
Ovarian normal volume is approximately 10 to 12 ml. Your ovary is mildly enlarged. It is possibly due to multiple follicles or small cyst. It will not cause distension of abdomen. For such such 6 month pregnant swelling it must be at least of 2 litre volume. Swelling is possibly due to fat.
Except mild pain ovaries will not cause any harm.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had hysterectomy done. Experiencing pain, passing blood in stool. Have different size of ovary. Normal? 8 hours later
First I would like to thank you for answering me. Second I really don't think it is fat that is causing me to me to be swollen.Before my surgery I weighed 131 and I am know weighing 150. Now there is no way I have gained that much weight in that short amount of time.
I am hoping to get to the Dr today or tomorrow.
I am just confused as to why I am in so much pain on my right side all the time.
Again thank you for answering me

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
If it is not fat then it must be evaluated thoroughly. Ovarian size of 14 ml will cause dull pain. It will not cause uncomfortable pain. It will be helpful to get CT abdomen done.

Hope for the best.

Regards.