Had hysterectomy and have bleeding with clots and pelvic pain. Suggest?

I am 35 and had a hysterectomy three weeks ago and have been having bleeding and passing alot of bright red blood clots for the past four days and have started to have pelvic pain. Should i talk to my gynecologist or wait till i see hi on oct. 9th. Any suggestions as to what might be going on and is this something serious to have checked out. THANK YOU
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello, I would be happy to help you!

Detailed Answer:
Can you please clarify exactly how they took your uterus out?
Did they leave your cervix?
Were there any complications?
How many days were you in the hospital?

Thank you!
Follow-up: Had hysterectomy and have bleeding with clots and pelvic pain. Suggest? 10 minutes later
They used the davinci robotic laparoscopic hysterectomy I believe they left my cervix but took the ovaries n tubes n uterus. The only complication was some minor XXXXXXX bleeding in my pelvis that did reabsorb n I had some heavy bleeding a week after the surgery that the dr said was normal. I was not anemic so I was sent home. In hospital for two days. Thanks. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you XXXXXXX ..

Detailed Answer:
First of all, I am sorry about the delay in getting back to you. So given your prior history of endometriosis and adhesions, I am assuming this is why they recommended using the robot for the surgery. The robot gives the surgeon a little better visualization and ability to lyse adhesions. In a case like that, though, I would assume that they would have taken the uterus with the cervix.

That being said, if they left the cervix in place, I would not expect ANY vaginal bleeding like you described - spotting at the most. This is why I believe that they probably took your cervix. When this is done, they usually close the top of the vagina.

Next, heavy bleeding one week after the procedure is NOT normal. Your doctor should have gotten you in for a visit and made sure there were no complications. I hate hearing these stories - I do not know how they can say it is "normal" over the phone without seeing you and examining you. You need to demand a visit NOW or you will get your care elsewhere.

So, here is what you are going to do:
1. You are going to demand to be seen today
2. You are going to have them clarify whether or not they took your surgery and you need to have them explain exactly what was done during the surgery
3. Then, if you have any additional questions, you are going to re-post to this question.

The bleeding, if they took the cervix, is from the top of the vagina. It might represent blood that has made its way out, but this would be old, dark blood and brownish discharge.

I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Had hysterectomy and have bleeding with clots and pelvic pain. Suggest? 6 hours later
I can't get aptm till Thursday afternoon. Bleeding is a little better but pelvic pain is worse. Do u think the dr can do anything for me or am I just going to have to deal with the pain n bleeding forever. What could be causing the pelvic pain if I have no reproductive organs anymore. Thanks for ur help. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for the followup

Detailed Answer:
You had a major surgery three weeks ago, complicated by extra bleeding during the surgery (which was described as a small amount), abnormally heavy bleeding one week out from the procedure (now improved) but now worsening pelvic pain. I think that the major concern is not some long-term problem, but rather a potential for a complication from the procedure itself.

While I am an un-involved source, and know nothing about your background or how the surgery went, but you should not be feeling worse in any way 3 weeks out from the procedure. You need evaluation now and it is not acceptable to wait until Thursday. You need a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis to assess whether the blood is, in fact, reabsorbed. At the same time, there can be assessment of your bowels and the tubes leading from your kidneys, called the ureters. Based on my cursory knowledge of your case, if they won't see you now, then you need to go to the ER. You need to be an advocate for yourself. You cannot do a big surgery and just NOT manage the problems that occur after. This is not acceptable care!!

I hope that this helps.