Had hysterectomy and experiencing headache. How to get relief?

Nov 2013

hi i am 43 years of age. i had a hysterectomy when i was 30. i still have my ovaries though.i have been experiencing massive headaches. i have kept a diary, they occur exactly every 28 days. pain relief does not help, i use ice packs for some relief. i saw my gp who got me to have a FBC. my esstrogen was a little high and my heamoglobin was a little low. he wants me back in a month he does not believe this is related to my cycle. could you please advise. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

The commonest cause for episodic headaches is migraine. This could be the case in you too.

In this condition, headaches occur at intervals, may affect one or both sides of head, and is accompanied by nausea or vomiting. In addition, there is increased sensitivity to bright lights and noise.

Treatment involves using specific medicines for pain relief, such as rizatriptan or sumatriptan. For preventing headaches in future, you may need to take beta blockers, topiramate or divalproex sodium.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist