Ask a Urologist   »  

Had hysterectomy. Flu like symptoms, lymph nodes in breast, perspiration. Hydroco for pain. Kidney problem?

I am a 50 year old white female. I had a hysterectomy 20+ years ago. I have been ill for a month. It started with a cold, flu-like symptoms, extreme fatigue. Then I started noticing swollen (which became extremely painful) lymph nodes in my breasts, under my arms, behind my knees, elbows, etc. My chest (behind my breasts - ist that makes sense) is constantly sore, I am weak, and have reoccurring sweats - all times of the day and night. Now, I have extremely clear urine (for the past 2-3 days). I do not have a fever. I do not have a cough. My hands and feet feel swollen when I wake up in the mornings and for part of the day. The lymph nodes seem to be going down, but I feel awful! I have been to the doctor twice. The first one prescribed antibiotics to treat a cold. The second one (they are in the same office) - a week later - ran a full blood screen and ordered a mammogram - all of which came back within normal limits. He did prescribe hydroco for pain, but if I were to take it as much as I am in pain, I am afraid of becoming addicted. I try not to complain now because it is starting to sound like I am a hypochondriac, even though the doctor could feel the swollen nodes. Symptoms seem to begin, peak, and then give way to new symptoms. Could this be a kidney problem? I'm getting desperate because this is affecting my daily functioning.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later

Sorry to hear about you.
The generalized enlargement of nodes needs to be evaluated.
As far as the kidney problem is concerned, if the kidney function tests in the blood ( Blood Urea and serum creatinine) are normal, there is nothing to worry.
An ultrasound scan of the kidneys and the whole abdomen is worth doing, which will help find the status of kidneys and any lymph nodal enlargement inside as well.

Hope this helps, kindly don't hesitate to ask for doubts, if any,