Had hrct. Negative for silicoprotenosis. Suggestion?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi Dr,

I tried to upload the hrct but it is not letting me. I am not sure it the file size is too large. It is 175 mb compressed from 350 mb. I will try again.

I was going to ask you about the comments that the radiographer Dr wrote and what they mean.

Result: Multiplanar noncontrast images. 1 mm high resolution noncontigious slices were saved. 3d images were generated on a dependent workstation. comparison March 29. No consolidation or ground glass opacity. No interlobular septal thickening. Comparisons thin strandy densities in the right uppper lobe, wich were present previously and evidently represent scarring rather then atelectasis. Otherwise the lungs are clear, except for minor subpleural reticluar densities posteriorly, consistent with dependent atelectasis. no nodules, opacities, adenopathy or other evidence for chronic silicosis.

Impression: Negative for silicoproteinosis.
I also have the pft copies but i need to scan and upload.

everything seems to look ok on them, and i could just write it on here, but the one thing i wanted to ask about right away was the ERV i noticed was really low. .88 out of 2.2. with that being 39 percent predicted.

do you think that will improve? as i still have some tightness in my thoracic cavity, wih it feeling like it is in my back and lower areas still.

Thanks
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 12 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

1. The fresh CT scan report is good.

2. You need to continue incentive spirometry, chest physiotherapy and inhalers.

3. On pft , ERV is an effort dependent parameter . The major parameters are fev1, fvc and fev1/fvc. If they are normal, then no need to worry.

4. You should symptomatically improve gradually with time.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Had hrct. Negative for silicoprotenosis. Suggestion? 19 minutes later
ok.

I was going to add the tests on 06/28/2013 were.

fvc(L) 5.4 actual, 6 predicted, 90%
fev1(L) 4 actual, 4.78 predicted, 83%
fev1/fvc% 74 actual, 80 predicted, 92%

but they went down from 4/16/2013

fvc1 6.17 actual, 6.01 pred, 102 %
fev1 4.7 actual, 4.79 pred, 98 %
fev1/fvc% 76 actual, 80 pred, 95%

my erv went down, but my tlc and rv went up.

should that be concerning? or maybe i just had a bad day?

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 11 hours later

The difference in pft does not seem to be significant at this stage since the values are very much in the normal range. But however it is recommended that the pft be repeated after 3 months.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist