Had hodgkin's lymphoma. Have bad chest infection. Chest x-ray showed fullness. Worrisome

Recently I had a chest x XXXXXXX which appeared ok but for some "fullness" seen by the radiologist, I am awaiting a CT Chest scan, before my xray I did have a bad chest infection could this be the reason? I did have Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2005, I would hope it would be the chest infection causing the "fullness" could it be the Hodgkins back? I am extremely worried, all my bloods came back ok as did ECG but for leftward axis ? on that I will also be having a Heart Ultrasound. I am very worried I would appreciate any reply thank you so much
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.

Fullness on chest radiograph means radioopacity, which can occur due to both chest infection and malignancy.

There is little difference in appearance of these conditions on chest x-rays. Infection will cause changes mainly on lateral side away from heart. Whereas lymphoma will cause mediastinal widening means changes in Central part of chest radiograph. There is airbronchogram sign in infection. Hope your radiologist has described in details.

If possible, let me know the description of reports or upload chest x-rays. Also, please mention location and details of lymphoma. It will be possible for me comment on most likely cause out of these possibilities.

In view of your history of lymphoma and bad chest infection both possibility should be considered. CT SCAN thorax will differentiated between them. You are already appointed for the same.

Hope I have answered your query. Looking forward for your response.
Follow-up: Had hodgkin's lymphoma. Have bad chest infection. Chest x-ray showed fullness. Worrisome 5 hours later
hello thank you for your reply i didn't see the full report for chest x XXXXXXX all the doctor said
was there was a sign of fullness in my chest i i did inform him of the chest infection so i guess
i will have to wait and see i will also await the heart ultrasound is this leftward
axis problem a common problem do you know? thank you kindly for replying your
service will be highly recommended by me
hello i meant to tell you my original lymphoma was in my groin
area there was never any sign of it in my chest area at the time
thank you again for your help
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Thanks for your response.

CT scan report will definitely give us more clues to differentiate between the infection and malignancy. So I think you need to proceed with the scan as planned.

Considering you had a recent chest infection, infection seems more likely. However without an opportunity to view the X-ray images, I am unable to give you a more assuring reply. Therefore please wait till we have the CT reports.

Left axis deviation is normal. No need to worry about that at all.

Your investigations are going on right pathway. We have to wait for CT SCAN findings.

I will be available for further clarifications.

Follow-up: Had hodgkin's lymphoma. Have bad chest infection. Chest x-ray showed fullness. Worrisome 10 hours later
Thank you Dr Sanap for your great help, its a good service indeed.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for your appreciation.
You can ask for any kind of help in future. We are always there for you.

Thanking you.