Had hit on temple area. Feeling dizzy, loosing balance, headache and vomiting. Should I be concerned?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I hit my temple area really hard about two and a half hours ago. Since then I've felt dizzy, lost my balance a couple times, and have a terrible headache. I also vomited once. Just recently my ear started to hurt. Should I be concerned? What should I do?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
From your symptoms there is high likelihood of an intracranial hematoma being caused.(extradural)This is a life threatening emergency.
Vomiting, headache and dizziness after injury to the temporal bone is associated with a high incidence of an extradural hematoma.
I would therefore suggest that you should GO to the ER immediately without wasting any time.A CT scan of the brain will reveal the exact pathology rendering it amenable to prompt life saving neurosurgical treatment.
I hope this answers your doubt.
With regards