Had hit on lips in an accident. Feeling lump and tingling sensation. How to get cured?

Excellent

Question
I was in a car accident about a month ago I busted my bottom lip XXXXXXX on the inside and on the outside too. I didnt get stitches though because it didnt go all the way through..However I now have a scar on the outside of my bottom lip area and you can feel a hard lump where the scar is all the way through to the inside of my lip and if you touch it on either side it stings but if I move my toungue over where the lump is on the inside of my mouth you can feel the sting and a tingling sensation..but the inside of lip is healed. what is it ? how do I fix it?
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 37 minutes later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, depending on the severity of the busted lip, the healing time for the lip may range from a few days to a few weeks. Fortunately, the extensive network of blood vessels in the facial region helps in boosting rapid healing, and in most cases, does so without leaving any scars. There is no way to cure a busted lip, but there are several ways to treat it. The best way is to use an ice pack to reduce swelling, and rinse the affected area a couple of times a day with water. If the tingling sensation is of concern then will recommend you to visit your clinician. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks

Follow-up: Had hit on lips in an accident. Feeling lump and tingling sensation. How to get cured? 2 hours later
there is no swelling anymore and the hole that was inside my lip is sealed up already as well. On the outside of my lip there is a scar there from the injury. but where the scar is on the outside there is a hard circular lump that you can feel both inside and outside of the lip it was busted close to the crease where the mouth stops and the chin begins..I have tried massage to try and reduce the size of the lump but it only makes it sting and tingle worse its like sharp pins..the lump is about the size of my fingertip..I know I must of hit pretty hard because I was passenger but the passenger side air bag blew and I am short. on my chin I had a bruise that actually developed a hematoma. Is this something that will heal and part of the process or is it something I just have to get use to?

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 17 hours later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, busted lip injury aren’t a serious health risk, they are unsightly, painful and often difficult to heal. Ibuprofen not only will it help the pain but also reduces inflammation and tingling sensation. Depending on the severity of the busted lip, the healing time for the lip may range from a few days to a few weeks, as in your case. In order to comment on possible treatments, your lip would have to be examined. If you feel that the scar is mature and unlikely to change significantly on its own. I would recommend you for consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to better understand your options. In some cases, a scar revision can improve the appearance of the scar. In other cases, dermabrasion of the white lip can help. Other options like laser are also available depending on the specifics of your scar. Scar revision is more complex if the laceration crossed the vermillion border from the pink to the white area of the lip. If the laceration and repair left the lip asymmetrical, then fillers could be explored as well. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health