Had hit on knee, bruising around ankle and swollen calf. Take aspirin. Blood clots run in family. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Yes thanks my brother age 54 took a hard hit just below his left knee ten days sgo now there is bruising around his abkle calf is still swollen but he says it is better than what it was I Am concerned as blood clots run in our family he just flew four hoursbto join us here in XXXXXXX for a week of small trips he saysvthere is no pain now but severe pain a few days after he got hit eith the umpire he does take a baby sspirin daily and took an extra one today how concerned should I Be
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 57 minutes later
The symptoms that you have described are likely to be due to a hematoma. The bleeding is likely to be more since he is already taking a baby aspirin.
If there is no resting pain, increase in the swelling, pain on weight bearing, increase in pain on walking, fever, then there is no need to worry. Deep vein thrombosis is not likely.
The lump which you notice seems to be a haematoma (internal bleeding) that's usually caused by rupture of some blood vessel in his calf or knee. Usually these swelling are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.
In my opinion, give him hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, ask him to take absolute bed rest, administer anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice, supported walking and if this doesn't work take an x XXXXXXX or sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Had hit on knee, bruising around ankle and swollen calf. Take aspirin. Blood clots run in family. Suggest? 10 minutes later
Bed rest has not been an option for the last ten days
Agsin he flew today and will fly again one week from toda
Just to be clear, anti inflamatory should be ok, ib ?
Thanks XXXXXXX you have relieved me
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
You can give the anti inflammatory if there is a pain. Otherwise only a hot fomentation will suffice. Do keep the leg elevated on two pillows while resting to reduce the swelling.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.