Had hit on knee. Swelling and bruise appeared. Feeling tenderness around knee. Should I be concerned?

I am currently away in France on holiday. I banged my left leg just below the knee on the inner side at the top of the XXXXXXX bone whilst surfing last week. There is some swelling at this point; my lower leg now shows some signs of bruising as it is coloured slightly, this extends to my ankle. My lower leg also swells if I do too much. If I elevate it the swelling at the ankle goes down. There is still some tenderness at the point of impact. Is it just a matter of rest and RICE? Would a flight sock help?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 51 minutes later

I think rest will be sufficient enough to reduce it. If the incidence is not too late i.e. not beyond 4-5 days you may apply heparin gel locally.

Yes, flight sock will help to reduce your swelling.

Even after some days the swelling will disappear by itself passing through the sequential colour changes though it may take time.

Don’t do too much strenuous work until the swelling disappears. Take rest as much as possible. Apply heparin gel, ice compression on that area. USG colour Doppler for left lower leg venous competency. An x-ray of left lower leg to be done if not done yet, to exclude underlying bony fracture.

I think i have answered your query. If you have further queries you may write back to me. Please write a review on this answer.

Wishing you quick recovery.

Dr. Arnab Maji