Had hit on head. Stitches is done on the back of head. CT scan showed no bleeding. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband hit his head on the latch of the bathromm at the Sydney airport 4 weeks ago.he was taken to the hospital had 18 stiches towards the back of his head. He came home to Florida 4 weeks ago.He seemed fine but soon he could not get enougfh sleep. Now he could sleep 24 hrs.
He seems listlet. I took him to the emergency room 3 days ago. Another CT scan showed no bleeding. The sent him home and still now he sleeps always again. I wake him up every so often, ask him questions and check his pupils.
I don't know what to do. He is 69 years old. HELP!
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
An increased tendency to sleep 4 weeks after a head injury with a normal CT scan can be due to a mild concussion. If there is no neurological deficit and there is no memory loss, then there is nothing to worry. He is likely to recover gradually over next 5-7 days.
You can consult a neurologist to detect any neurological deficits. You can also monitor him for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.