Had hit on head. Noticed bruise on arm, feeling sick and burn on upper cheek. CT scan done. Worrisome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell hard, about 3 weeks ago, hit the carpeted floor but bounced my head. I had a small brush burn on my upper cheek and the side of the white of my eye on the same side of the brush burn, was very bloodshot. I went to the hosp. the next day and had a ct scan, no bleed but it was a concussion. Saw my family dr. the next day, he found a large XXXXXXX bruise on the back of my upper arm and some very tender areas. He advised that I rest and stay home from work for 6 days.I did. I didn't think I had a concussion but my dr. told me that's why I had all those symptoms. I never really felt 100% well but felt a lot better.The pressure behind my eye and my ear on the same side still hurt. Then I tripped up the steps and fell hard again and hit my upper arm leaving a very large bruise. Now I feel sick again like I did with the concussion. My ear hurts, head hurts, neck hurts and just foggy. I am making spelling errors that I would never submit at work. It is so strange. Could I have another concussion??? Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The fogginess and the spelling mistakes that you are doing is suggestive of a concussion again.
This should pass away in a couple of weeks if you are careful.

Avoid driving. Take someone's help if you have difficulty in keeping balance while walking. Avoid sudden movements to head and neck as they can aggravate headache. Avoid bending down suddenly but do it very gradually or rather lift your lower body to upper level if possible.

You can take Acetaminophen or Paracetamol tablets 500mg twice a day for a week after a meal, under medical supervision. This should relieve your pains.

Eat a balanced diet. Keep well hydrated. Avoid junk food, caffeine, smoking and alcohol.

Do follow up with your Doctor in case there is any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc. If the headaches get worse, you may require a CT scan to look for internal bleeding.

Your headaches should clear in a week or two at the most if you take good care of yourself. Kindly try your best to prevent such accidents from happening again. Be careful all the time.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.