Had hit on head. Lump appeared without headache. Should I be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, this morning, I leaned over in my closet to grab my shoes to put on for the day. When I stood back up, I hit my head on the corner of the dresser. I hit it nearer to the back/side, just above the tender spot where my ear connects to my head, in the spot where the very end of the "arm" pieces of your glasses would rest if you had them on. I did not pass out, did not have a headache, did not have nausea/vomiting or any other symptoms. 7 hours later, I have tenderness the size of a dime when I touch that spot, and some soreness, but no real headache. Everything else has been normal today. I hit it with enough force to hear a loud "thump XXXXXX and it definitely hurt. My question: Should I be concerned, and go to the ER, or wait to see if any real symptoms develop? From what I have read online, I don't really have any specific symptoms of a concussion, but some say that you can have one without any symptoms, if you hit your head. I don't want to waste anyone's time, but I don't want to miss doing something that I should, since this was technically a blow to the head and I know head injuries should never be taken lightly since some can be bleeders. Thanks for your time!
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that you have suffered a minor head injury.
Such minor injuries are usually more frightening than threatening. A minor concussion without any symptoms is not worrisome.
If you can consult a physician easily then it is best to get yourself examined for any neurological deficits. There is no need to rush to an ER immediately. You can self monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
Meanwhile you can do a hot compress in the area of injury and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.
The pain is likely to subside in next 4-5 days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.