Had hit on head. Lump appeared with some pain. Should I be concerned?

I had a fall and bumped the back of my head on a hard surface about six weeks ago. I was drunk and unconscious and was taken to hospital, but in the morning seemed fine and went home. A few days later I developed a lump on my scalp and some pain with it. I went to the doctor and she suggested I have a CT scan at the local hospital. Because it didnt seem like an emergency I am still waiting for the scan which is in a couple of days now. My hematoma got much smaller and the pain lessened, to the extent that last weekend I had virtually no symptons left and thought I was better. I stupidly went out on a drinking binge and drank alot over a couple of days. After this the pain in the head had retuned and is very bad when I eat or drink. I had not fallen again. Is this possibly due to the effect of the alcohol reversing the healing process in some way. I'm getting pretty worried about this now, and obviously deeply regret drinking again.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

In all probability you had concussion injury to brain which got aggravated by second binge.

What you need now is abstinence from alcohol, plenty of physical and mental rest and hobby activities. Symptomatic treatment with pain killers can be given by your doctor.

To be reassured, a CT of head will be in order.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: Had hit on head. Lump appeared with some pain. Should I be concerned? 2 hours later
Thanks ever so much. I feel pretty reassured I haven't done any really lasting damage now. I'v noticed that if I swallow slowly and tip my head over to the side that wasnt bumped, I dont get pain, and I have no other symptons at all.
I will go for my scan, and do the other things you suggest,especially the giving up alcohol! I dont even enjoy it that much!
Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back. Your present symptoms in all likely are part of post-concussion to brain. It should clear in next few days to weeks