Had hit on head. Bumps appeared on back of head. How to cure these bumps?

Nov 2013

I hit my head on a concrete floor 4 weeks ago and got two large bunps on the head on both sides of the back of the head I had no symptoms to indicate a skull fracture but the bumps dont appear to be going down after over 4 weeks now. Can you advise what is hapening and why it is still there?
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
The large bumps on the back of head are likely to be due to scalp hematoma (collection of blood). These hematomas usually resolve in 2-3 weeks, however, it may sometimes persist for longer duration.
Sometimes, these can get infected and last for longer duration. But in those cases, there will be fever and severe pain.
You may take anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen to make these bumps subside.
In any case, there's no need to worry.
Please get back for any follow up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXX consultant neurologist