Had hit on head. Bump appeared, feeling burning pain. Is this normal? How to treat this?

About 2 weeks ago, I was driving and i raised my head up to adjust my sitting and knocked my head against some light fixture. It hurt for about 30 minutes and then wore off. It became a bump the next day, and the pain mostly subsided. Now, over the past week, I feel a burning pain on my crown, about the center and off to the left a bit, right where I hit my head. Is this a normal part of recovering from a bruise or bump to the area? how should i treat it, and should i go see a doctor?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 3 hours later

You had concussion injury to brain during the hit. These symptoms as described by you do occur in few cases. In most of the cases it improves by itself by taking adequate amount of rest and restricted activities. You can watch it for another half week where the severity and frequency reduces gradually. In case they persists or increase, you should consult a doctor.

Follow-up: Had hit on head. Bump appeared, feeling burning pain. Is this normal? How to treat this? 11 hours later
Thanks for reply. I had hoped it wasn't as serious as a concussion because I hadn't noticed any dizziness or sleepiness or symptoms other than just the headaches. My question is - how does that concussion affect the brain, does it damage it, and also, is there anything I can do to help with the headaches/pain?
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 22 hours later

Thanks again.

Concussion is an injury not severe enough to cause structural damage to brain and thus it cannot be seen on a Computed Tomography (CT) or Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of brain.

However such injury causes shaking of brain and brain functions become imbalanced. It can result in variety of symptoms either alone or in combinations such as headache, dizziness, vomiting or altered sensorium. The symptoms gradually resolve on its own.

Symptomatic treatment for pain and headache along with rest can be prescribed by your doctor, if the symptoms are troubling you.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more enquiries.

Dr. Pratap
Follow-up: Had hit on head. Bump appeared, feeling burning pain. Is this normal? How to treat this? 7 hours later
Thank you for the information. I do not plan to keep asking similar questions. I will probably try to take some Tylenol for the pain. I've had a difficult time having this answered through internet searches, so I figured I'd just ask while I'm on here. Is it likely a minor concussion would have a long term effect on cognitive functioning? My brain is the only one I have, and it's one of the only things I'm proud of about myself. Thanks, and this is probably the last question I'll be asking, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 4 hours later

Concussion is minor or major can not be related in absolute term with impact or force of injury. Even a minor impact can result in severe and vice verse injury to brain.

Long term effects on cognition is noted in those who have repeated brain concussion e.g. boxers.

In your case it is unlikely to cause cognitive impairment but long term follow up will only be able to answer it with certainty.