Had hit on hand. Swelling appeared and got stung by bee. On antibiotic. Painful fingers. Concerned

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hit the top of my hand hard 4 weeks ago swelled up then got stung by a bee went to ER put me on antibiotics swelling went done my hand is still swollen looks like the bone on top of hand from hitting it now fingers painful and rist had an xray everything was fine what is this
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The swelling you have now is likely to be due to the fracture was detected on an X-ray, there is nothing to worry.
You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like MRI as it is the best test to assess the soft tissue injuries.

It looks like it will resolve on its own in a couple of days. Do not take medications unless absolutely necessary.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.